Read All About It

So, this time last week I'd just filed a story for the paper. It was a bit of a deviation for me because it wasn't about wine. Rather, it was about how I met my husband. And though I realised a fair few people would read it, nothing prepared me for the response to the piece. Aside from completely freaking my sister out (I hadn't realised she'd be waking up to my face plastered on the front page of the paper's online home page - she thought she was hallucinating), my phone and facebook page melted with messages. From the school run to the queue in the supermarket; even the postman had read it. TV and radio stations called all morning asking if I'd go on air to talk about it. Strangers emailed to say how much they'd enjoyed reading it. Of course there were some less than kind comments below the piece online (my sister read out some of her favourites to me) but most of them were gorgeous. Turns out everyone loves a love story. Well, almost everyone.

Current white in the fridge: Zalze Bush Vine Chenin Blanc 2014, £5.99 on offer (normally £8.29), Waitrose
Chenin Blanc is a real multi-tasker as grapes go, making wines from the very dry to the gloriously sweet. But in South Africa, where it's become their most famous white grape, it's mostly dry. And fruity - like sniffing lemons, with added pineapple when you taste it.  A glass of this with my mum earlier this evening (just back from a three-week holiday staying with her sister in the States) helped us over the midweek hump that is Wednesday. Gotta love that. 

Current red on the side: Tesco Finest Cotes du Rhone 2014, £5.49 on offer (normally £6.99), Tesco
We're running something of a blackberry jam factory here at the moment: the bramble bushes lining the lane to our house are heaving with fruit. And honestly, stick your nose in a glass of this gorgeous Rhone red made from Syrah and Grenache grapes and you get pretty much the same thing - a massive hit of bramble fruits. But with added alcohol. Even better. 

Chin chin x

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,